Thursday, October 25, 2012

Educational Path


Finding the right educational path is hard and taking the right classes is hard. For me, I started my educational path at CCSF and later transferred to SFSU. Because I am a transferred student, some of the lower division course I had taken was from City College of San Francisco. The way I planned out what classes to take before transferring was first talking to my counselor and visit the campus where I would like to transfer and talk with an academic adviser from the college. Talking to a counselor beforehand is critical to taking the right classes. If you have taking the wrong class, you might need to take an additional year for your study in the college. Before transferring, it is also best to check out assist so you would know exactly what you need to take in order to transfer. Also, if you are a transferring from a community college like CCSF to a California State University, you need to complete most of your majors lower division class and some of the GE classes before you can transfer.



Some of the classes I thought it was really useful when studying in CCSF are the English and business related classes. English classes provided at CCSF are probably the toughest courses compared to any other community college. The sequence is long for Nonnative speakers and it takes about 3 years to complete the whole sequence. I remember taking Eng. 96 with a really strict teacher, but he really helped improve my writing skills. In the class, I remember writing essays and constantly revising my paper. The teacher always emphasize on an upside down pyramid in writing essays. First, writing broad and narrowing down to the main point of the essay. This class trained me in critical reading and in writing argumentative essays which are some skills I need to have when pursing in the management field. Also, this class emphasizes on reading and writing analytically and developing research and documentation skills. Some of the basic business classes also gave me an overview perspective on what business is like and how organizations are using different techniques to run their businesses. One business class I thought it was really useful is the introduction to business course. This class really gave me an overview about business and how organizations function in the society and in the world as a whole.



Another requirement class which was really useful is a public speaking class. This class really helped students practice public speaking skills. For me, it really helped me with later presentations in my business classes at SFSU.  Classes I think it is really useful taking here at SFSU are MGMT 405. This class really helps me understand the basic theories and skills for a manager. However, this class consists of around 600 people and there are a lot of distractions when students come in late. Another class, MGMT 605, which I am currently taking, is really useful. This class really focused on critical thinking and personal development skills in the area of management. The teacher was really helpful in helping students understand the concepts and provide a positive learning environment for the students.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that management 405 and 605 have really influenced me. Mgmt 605 really challenges you with all of the activities and group competitions. It has helped me work in a team and it is a very hands on class. How do you like all of the presentations that are required in 605?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For our class, there wasn't as much activities like it was in your class, maybe its because we don't have enough time to do all the activities.I think the presentation really helps us gain more confidence in the topics we are presenting to the whole class. Also, it really helped us analyze and think about the videos relating to the materials from the book.

      Delete
  2. I am also taking MGMT 605. I know that in my class we have had many presentations. Have you learned anything about presenting in this class? I think that knowing how to present it an important part of business and becoming a manager. When you were choosing the school that you wanted to transfer to, did assist help you in order to decide based on the requirements that were needed for each school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just learned about how to do an good presentation in class this last class I have with Dr. Lamm. I felt from the exercise he assigned to us, he really helped us understand what exactly is an good presentation. I felt my counselor helped me stayed on track rather than Assist.

      Delete
  3. Counselors at school are very helpful, isn’t it? I love to consult my counselor at school before registering classes for next semester too. By doing so, really helps me to be more efficient on taking the right classes towards my degree. And, most of the counselors are really care about their students and will try their best to help students to deal with difficulties of school works or personal lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counselors are great! I felt counselors not only help you withe school but they also care about your feelings and what you want to do with your future. I think they are really passionate about people and I felt I might want to minor in counseling.

      Delete